Share on Twitter

Monday, September 13, 2010

EBONY

Ebony is about a woman's love-hate relationship with her body, her hair in particular. I'd know. I used to shave my hair every time the things i wanted to go my way didn't work out i.e. until i grew locks. I have my moments when i desperately want to cut them but the urge to fling them around like a mad woman always wins the day. So that's how I've managed to keep them for so long-eight years to be precise. It's been a beautiful journey. I've found ways of releasing my anger and frustrations which doesn't involve shaving my hair or mutilating my body lol. Hope this sheds some light to this piece.



There once was a woman

Her glory was falling

Falling.

The woman and her glory, falling

Fallen.



Her sigh of defeat grew silent ,

but not the spirit of her defiant nature.

She knew it was far from over.

She lies but never dies.

She had a lot of fire in her,

a lot of fight still left within her.

Her glory was falling.

Shimmering, colossal, mass of black

Ebony wool fallen.

How it glimmered in the hot sun

You could tell from a distance.

Beautiful, just like her

RESILIENT

spirit.



The world around her is a sham.

Ugly.

I saw through her secret ritual.

Purging her soul of the ugliness.

Cleansed.

Her black wool, lying in the stillness beside her.


Her heart started to bleed as she quietly gazed at her glory.

Then,

A ray of light fell upon her smoldering, black, olive eyes.

I could see her tears now,

rolling down unto

the ebony wool,

Next to her bare feet.


She lifted her smooth hands and gently stroked her fallen glory.

A tiny smile started to crease her round face.

Sated,

She lay claim to her peace.

This , her sacrifice.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak and be heard.